If you do enough woodworking or other type of craftsmanship the need for a drill press will eventually present itself. However, there are so many styles, and with prices ranging from a couple hundred dollars all the way up to thousands of dollars, how can you ever decide? The good news is that if you’re not sure what you need, then the best drill press for you is probably at the lower end of the price scale. One such drill is the Shop Fox W1668. It is tabletop drill with surprisingly impressive features, and best suits those looking for an entry level model or even one step up from entry level.
Shop Fox W1668 Drill Press Highlights
- Has 12 speed oscillating sander
- 110 volt electric, 3/4 Horsepower
- 2 1/4″ Dust Port
- Has speed 12 speeds ranging from 250 – 3,050 RPM
- Round table with 12 3/8″ diameter
- Table swings 360 degrees and tilts 45 degrees (both left and right)
- Dust port
- Drill chuck handles 1/8″ to 5/8″
- Spindle travel 3 1/4″ and has a total 13 1/4″ swing
What we liked About the Shop Fox W1668 Drill Press
- Easy Setup – The press comes in pieces, so it requires assembly, but anyone who is handy around the shop should have it put together in around an hour (two at the most).
- Sanding Kit – The included sanding kit attaches easily and is a huge selling point over less expensive drills. It reciprocates up and down, comes with several types of sanding cylinders and works just as advertised. It will definitely make quick work out of regular, contour sanding jobs.
- Good Power – Anyone reading this Shop Fox W1668 drill press review is undoubtedly curious about the drill’s power. We are happy to report that, considering the price, there’s a great amount of power in the Shop Fox. It will handle any home/hobbyist job with ease and can even tackle heavy-duty drilling from time to time.
- Simple Operation – This press has a straightforward operation and easily switches between speeds and other features, and the solid build allows for both the height and swing to adjust smoothly.
- Accurate – The Shop Fox W1668 drill press makes straight and true holes; even when angling they are always spot-on. Those who are upgrading directly from a handheld drill should be thoroughly impressed.
Check Out The Shop Fox W1668-(Shop Fox W1668 Manual now available)
What we didn’t like about the Shop Fox W1668 Drill Press
- Must Remove Handles when Oscillating – The instruction manual suggestions, for safety reasons, removing the handle when using the oscillating feature. This is a minor inconvenience especially if you go back and forth a lot between tasks.
- A Little Noisy – The noise isn’t terrible — certainly not as bad as many other power tools, but those who have worked with higher-range drill presses will notice the sound difference.
Shop Fox W1668 Drill Press Conclusion
If you read enough drill press reviews you may become totally confused about what to purchase; it seems everyone has a different opinion. However, we think the Shop Fox W1668 will impress even the most serious hobbyist looking to buy drill press models. It has good build quality and handles much more than casual use. In fact, its specs are more comparable to many floor-standing drills, yet at a much lower price.