Sometimes traditional tabletop drill presses aren’t enough for the serious hobbyist, yet committing to a floor-standing model requires a lot more money and sacrificing valuable workshop space. Thankfully, the Jet JDP-15M is here to serve as the great compromiser as it offers some of the best features from both floor and table models, and judging by its specs, it just might be the best drill press for those needing power and a small footprint.
Jet JDP-15M Drill Press Highlights
- 16 Speed (200 to 3,630 RPM)
- 3/4 HP, 115/230 volt motor
- 15″ swing with tension and return spindle
- Built-in work light
- Quick-set bolt depth stop
- Can fit the Jet mortising attachment
- Click here for more details
What We Liked About The Jet JDP-15M Drill Press
- Heavy-Duty Build – As soon as you try and lift the 156 pound JET you’ll realize just how solidly constructed it is — no flimsy metal on this press. Although the weight makes it a little difficult to maneuver, it does provide a stable, non-yielding work surface.
- Little Runout – If you’ve read other drill press reviews, they you know it’s difficult to find a consumer-grade drill press that doesn’t have any runout, but the Jet comes pretty close. If you take the time to set it up properly and adjust it to your specifications, you should never have to bother with it again.
- Large Tabletop – The tabletop is 16.5″ x 13″, which makes it one of the largest tops in this class of machine.
- Easy Speed Change – Unless you buy a variable speed press, you’re going to deal with changing drive belts. Fortunately, the Jet makes this task as simple as possible as the motor is able to slide towards the drill head, which allows slack in the belts for easy removal and application.
- Impressive Specs – What impresses us most in this Jet JDP-15M drill press review is simply the overall specs of the product. With a 3/4 HP motor, 16 speeds, 15″ swing, spindle return, and a host of other features, this machine is comparable to much more expensive models.
- Versatile Three-Spoke Hand Wheel – The hand wheel, positioned on the side of the head, is just the right size for the times when you want to increase power, yet is equally effective for delicate jobs when you need more precision.
- (See User Reviews Here)
What We Didn’t Like About The Jet JDP-15M Drill Press
- Height – The Jet has the power of a floor-model press (which we like), but the dimensions don’t seem downsized enough for a typical 36″ workbench. Unless you’re taller than average, we think most people will feel more comfortable using it on a shorter table (just make sure it’s sturdy).
- Table tilt – Adjusting the tilt of the table involves accessing a nut located in a difficult-to-access location under the table.
JDP-15M Manual Now Available
Jet JDP-15M Drill Press Summary
Overall, this is a top-notch machine that works well in a busy home workshop or for light-duty professional work. Its powerful motor makes it capable of cutting through a variety of woods and metals, and its durable construction will hold up for years to come. If you’re looking for the best drill press in a tabletop design, the Jet won’t let you down. Click here to check out the Jet JDP-15M